Employment Opportunity at Heart of the Highlands Trail System
The Heart of the Highlands Trail System (HOH) is seeking a motivated individual with a passion for trails and trail building to serve as Trails Program Coordinator. The position involves coordination of all Board activities to move forward the HOH mission; to connect the non-motorized, multi-use trail systems of the five land management agencies Tucker County, West Virginia into a comprehensive, landscape oriented, environmentally sustainable, multi-use trail system that is accessible to the public.
This position includes administrative duties and field work at times requiring navigation of difficult terrain. This is a one year contractual position, averaging 20 hours per week with option of annual renewals.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Work with the Chair and members of the Board of Directors to further the mission of the organization, and a strategic plan encompassing an organizational vision, activities plan, and revenue plan supporting the achievement of the mission.
Consistent with the strategic plan develop and execute a revenue plan to achieve an income stream that funds the operational activities contemplated by the strategic plan. Coordinate fund raising activities for the HOH in partnership with the HOH Board of Directors and other stakeholders.
Develop and maintain sound financial practices including preparing and complying with annual and long term budgets. Maintain official records and documents and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and grant requirements.
- Experience working with a non-profit organization
- Skilled in written and oral communications, and meeting facilitation
- Experience in non-profit funding resources and grants
- Familiarity with trail planning, construction, maintenance
- Knowledge of standard information technologies
- Ability to exercise leadership through example and persuasion while working with diverse and independent teams of individuals, professionals, volunteers, and institutional stakeholders.
Other Helpful Skills
- Experience in contract bidding, construction and contract oversight
- Experience overseeing trail construction projects
- Familiarity with GIS and related technologies